For many of us, the holiday season means family gatherings and conversations. What do you do when political issues come up? You may be tempted to avoid these discussions altogether, but Christians need to engage and share the truth in love. In this episode of Thru the Fire, the Seltzes help us understand why these conversations can be difficult and give some practical help to keep the tone respectful and loving.
Topics covered in today's episode:
- Our relationship with the people we're talking to is more important than the conversation.
- The proposed Equality Act and what it means for ministries, charities, churches and Christians. Are these acts nothing more than a means by which to muzzle Christians and biblical morality
- How do Christians push back against such acts and still speak truth?
- When discussing government-mandated changes to anti-discrimination laws Christians must:
- Think critically about such issues
- Research the issues
- Be able to disagree with but not disregard the concerns of the opposition
- Invite our adolescent and young adult children into the discussions
- Demonstrate Biblical perspective
- Remember that our identity as a society lies in our creator, not government-mandated behavior
- Understand that our system of government with all of its checks and balances was formed by our founding fathers because they understood that humans are depraved
Finally, it’s important for parents to instill a sense of respect for their elders in their children because those elders have incredible wisdom gleaned from their life experiences that should not be easily dismissed.
Thru the Fire is produced by Family Vision Media. For more information, visit ww.familyvisionmedia.org